Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Last Blog from the DR

Hola!!!  Tomorrow is officially the day Abbey and I return to the States!  Today is one of those really mixed days emotionally.  I am ready to be home and see friends and family, but I am leaving behind a lot of really great Dominican friends, the people of Cercadillo, and of course, my dear friend, Ina.  The awesome news is that Ina will be in the midwest sometime in early fall, so this is truly a "see you soon" moment.  The last few days have been a lot of fun!  On Saturday, our Dominican friend Rafelina took Abbey and I with her to get our hair straightened.  That was a fun, non-sanitary experience :)  My hair stayed straight for about 2 hours before becoming a huge mop of semi-straight bushy hair.  Good thing it only cost me $8.00 with tip!  After we got our hair done, we went to Rafelina's house for an awesome Dominican meal of chicken and rice and of course, coffee!

On Sunday Ina took us to a really cute bakery place for breakfast. 
 I hate to say it, but they gave bakeries in the States a real run for their money.  Especially with cafe con leche.  Good-bye Starbucks!  Cafe con leche is my new favorite beverage.  I'm going to try to learn how to make it at home.  Next we attended Ina's church and said our good-bye's there.  It was kind of cool because our last Sunday in the DR was missions Sunday so they mentioned the work God is doing in Cercadillo.  After church we went out to eat at Adrian Tropical, a really beautiful restaurant on the water that I went to last year.  It began to rain before we ordered so we ended up at another Dominican 
icon, Don Tato's, for club sandwiches and batidas (fruit smoothies).  That evening we had the opportunity to present a movie in Cercadillo.  The love these.  We showed "The Chronicles of Narnia:  Prince Caspian".  It was a new experience to watch it in Spanish!  It was so much fun to watch with the kids because they got really excited when Aslan, the lion appeared at the battle scene :)


On Monday we headed to Barceló Capella Resort just east of Santo Domingo where we spent 
the past two days enjoying some relaxation time at the beach.  It was a lot of fun to end our time here without a schedule, just enjoying each other's company.  I had never been to a resort before, so it was a totally new experience for me.  Tomorrow we fly home so please pray that we will continue the processing that always accompanies a trip like this.  Please pray that God will be glorified in us, especially if He has different travel plans than we do :)  I will see you all soon!

No comments: