Friday, July 11, 2008

Last few days!

What a last few days! We packed so much in my last few days in the DR that I'm having a hard time keeping it all straight! We celebrated the 4th of July on the 5th. Since we weren't in the US, we had to be a little flexible :) Ina's missionary friend Kirsten took us to a hotel near her house where we could pay a little fee to use the pool for the afternoon. This picture is of Kirsten and Rich's three gorgeous children, Josiah, Faith, and little Esther. We had a lot of fun splashing around the pool with them and then enjoyed the hottest showers ever. They were awesome! We rounded out our Saturday by going to a birthday party for our friend Claudia. Claudia lives downtown near the Colonial City with her mom and sisters. Their home was complete with an indoor courtyard (a little area surrounded by walls but without a ceiling) and a balcony overlooking a busy shopping street.

On Sunday, God gave us amazing weather so we were able to go do a service in Cercadillo. God also brought two new faces to our team, Claudia's sister Maribel and her husband Alejandro. Ina has been praying for a husband and wife team to work with her in Cercadillo for a number of reasons, so this is very exciting! The lesson we worked on this week was about the consequences of Adam and Eve's sin. The children in this picture are coloring two pages; one shows Adam and Eve enjoying Eden before their sin, and the other shows them banished from the garden. It's exciting to see the basis for the Gospel being laid down step by step!

My last two days in Cercadillo (Monday and Tuesday) were bittersweet. I had a lot of fun teaching reading and English lessons, and the kids were really great. I was sad to know I was leaving soon and wouldn't be seeing these kids for a while. They were very gracious on my last day with lots of hugs, and one boy turned his reading assignment into a picture for me that will most assuredly be hanging in my kitchen! This picture shows some boys running to school ahead of us. This was a daily occurrence. I will miss the kids smiles and complete excitement over the littlest things! I could stand to learn a lesson from them about how to use what you have and enjoy the small things.

My last full day in the DR was a Wednesday so we had a day off. I began by packing so I wouldn't leave that until the last minute. Then Ina and I were off for another cultural adventure to the car wash! Fortunately we were one of the few people out getting their car washed in the torrential downpour so it only took an hour and a half :) Wednesday night the Dominicans and summer interns from TIME picked us up and brought us to Esteban and Marta's house for supper and the best batidos in town. The word "batido" means milkshake, but Esteban made them with fresh tropical fruit, milk, and ice. They were awesome, and I got to try several combinations of pineapple, mango, melon, banana (guineo), sapote, and papaya. We think Esteban could open his own batido shop and do quite well. We got home quite late to find out that both city power and Ina's inverter were down so we went to bed by candlelight. I was so thankful I had packed in the morning! I also got to arise at 4:30 and get ready for the airport in the dark...one last adventure :)

No comments: